Sunday, April 13, 2008

"Under Pressure"

I am here in my study with some chicken salad and a roll as a post workout meal. Probably should have gone with a protein shake and a banana, but ... I'll have that for dinner.

The subject heading refers to a song that's on my iPOD when I do my runs. The lyrics also resonate with me today for a reason I'll keep to myself. Let's stick with workout stuff.

So, today I did go to the gym. I bet you all thought I'd be lazy and take the day off. Well, you were WRONG! Here's today's workout:

  • 15 minutes on elliptical
  • WALKING LUNGES (I do these in a big mirrored room with these nice wooden floors)
    • no weights, 40 steps
    • 15 lbs in each hand, 50 steps
    • no weights, 40 steps
    • 15 lbs in each hand, 50 steps
    • no weights, 40 steps
    • 15 lbs in each hand, 50 steps
  • plie squats
    • 55 lbs, 3 sets of 15 reps
  • abductor
    • 60 lbs, 3 sets of 15 reps
  • adductor
    • 60 lbs, 15 reps
    • 70 lbs, 2 sets of 15 reps
  • leg press
    • 90 lbs, 2 sets of 50 reps
  • seated calf raises
    • 45 lbs, 3 sets of 15 reps
  • calf exercises on leg press machine
    • 90 lbs, 50 reps
    • 180 lbs, 2 sets of 25 reps
  • ab work
    • 2 sets of leg lifts (15 reps?)
    • that thing where you're on your back and you put a ball between your legs (yeah, great description I know), 2 sets of 15
  • 10 minutes on elliptical
As I read this, I'm wondering if I forgot something; I'm also wondering if I have the order here accurately. Oh well, this was a decent workout for me. I haven't done walking lunges (I keep typing "lunches"!) in some time. They hit your rear, so we'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Also, I wish to comment more on my wonderful experience at the Kidney Run yesterday. It wasn't so wonderful although I don't blame the organizers. It was the first time they did it, so I suppose I should have expected kinks, but when a guy on a bike asks you as you're warming up, "Do you know how the route goes?" and that guy is supposed to be LEADING the runners, you know you're in trouble. Clearly, I didn't know the route, because I ran off course along with everyone else around me. Thing is: there was a volunteer at the end of where everyone seemed to run off course with a CONE, which seemed to indicate that's where we were supposed to run. Ugh.

So even though my time was respectable, it wasn't great. I'm not sure how much time I lost. I really should have run harder at the end. I wasn't bent over gasping for breath when I completed the race. In fact I was fairly relaxed. I can usually get a few seconds in that last tenth of a mile because I start to sprint. I didn't really do that.

Earlier I also promised to comment on the loud music and the gasping Clydesdale. There seems to be a definite pattern at these races where the organizers feel the need to play very LOUD supposedly inspirational rock music when everyone is registering, etc. So I had to listen to some terrible music at 8am. Not exactly how I want to start my morning when I haven't had java. Yep, I did NOT get coffee, so no caffeine in my system - that probably cost me too. ;)

Now, as to the gasping Clydesdale. As I'm starting out the race (caught behind some very thin women who took up way too much room on the path; I should have zigzagged around them but I didn't want to expend the energy - in retrospect, I could have gained some time by passing them because they were going too slowly for me), I hear this incredibly heavy breathing. I'm thinking someone is ready to pass out. Then I notice a tall, large, grey haired man with incredibly large calves pass me. It's THAT guy. He is breathing so heavily I really want to ask him, "Dude, are you ok?" But I don't. Well, for much of the race we were near each other. If you look at the results (just click the blog link for the previous post!), you'll see he finished about 10 seconds faster than me. I probably could have closed that gap, but as I said, I didn't push myself at the end. Yep, that sounds like an excuse, and it is. I think hearing that guy gasping the entire race freaked me out too.

Therefore, I want to calculate my actual 5k time based on these factors:
  • 28:22 (supposed time for "5"k)
  • -42 seconds for being sent off course
  • -1:30 seconds for not having coffee
  • -25 seconds for being caught behind wall of women
  • -35 seconds for having to listen to Clydesdale gasping for breath
  • 25:10 actual time for 5k! WOO HOO! (My math is probably wrong, but what the heck, you get the point)
Wow, so I ran a 25:10 5K. Yep, that sounds about right. Not!

No comments: