Thursday, April 10, 2008

Non-workout post: Dorothy Parker has something to say - Men make me sick and tired too, DP...at least sometimes.

After making myself pretty and going to a reception tonight (yes, I can pretty-fy myself; I'm not always in a sports bra!), I'm going to a discussion group that is reading some works by fellow JERSEY GIRL Dorothy Parker. I just stumbled on a poem that I really like:

"Men"

They hail you as their morning star
Because you are the way you are.
If you return the sentiment,
They'll try to make you different;
And once they have you, safe and sound,
They want to change you all around.
Your moods and ways they put a curse on;
They'd make of you another person.
They cannot let you go your gait;
They influence and educate.
They'd alter all that they admired.
They make me sick, they make me tired.
There are a lot of other great poems by Parker; I wish I owned a collection of her poetry, but alas, I just have the collected stories.


Gotta love the girl from Long Branch, NJ, which back in the day was THE place to be in the summer. Oh, how things have changed.

For those who don't know, Long Branch is fairly close to my hometown, and of course, I spent everyday of my summers at Driftwood Beach Club !

No comments: