Monday, April 7, 2008

Giving advice at the gym (and today's stupendous workout!)

So, today I did something I rarely do at the gym: give someone else unsolicited advice. I know that is difficult for folks who know me to believe, but really I don't offer advice unless I'm asked and even then reluctantly do.

But today I decided to be more proactive. I'm using the leg press and I notice a young guy on the hack squat. He's rolling forward on his toes and I see his heels leave the ground; I also notice his legs are really unstable. He wasn't doing a lot of weight. When he was done with his set, I contemplated saying something. Nearly did. Then didn't. Then did. I suggested to him that he change his foot position and focus on pushing through his heel. He actually seemed interested in what I was saying; he even asked me as he was setting up for his next set whether it looked right to me. I suppose I was expecting a different sort of response - ie "Oh, thanks" and then the guy doing the same thing. After his set, I asked him if he noticed a difference and he said "definitely." He then thanked me.

Not sure what made me offer the advice; as I've written, I'm very quiet and focused in the gym, but I do watch what others do.

On to my workout:
  • 8 minutes on elliptical (and YES crazyhighrpmgirl was there!!)
  • 2 sets of pull ups; 9 reps and 4 reps (bah!)
  • hanging knee raises; 2 sets of: 15 reps wide grip, 15 reps close grip; 1 set of 15 reps to the left and 15 reps to the right (I think another 15 in the middle?)
  • leg press
    • 90 lbs, 50 reps close foot position, 35 reps medium foot position, 25 reps wide foot position
    • 180 lbs, 35 reps, 25 reps, 15 reps
    • 90 lbs, 35 reps, 25 reps, 15 reps (NOT REALLY SURE ABOUT REPS AND SUCH)
  • leg curls
    • 30 lbs, 15 reps
    • 50 lbs, 2 sets of 15 reps (not sure I'm remembering sets/reps correctly)
  • leg extension
    • 50 lbs, 3 sets of 15 reps (not sure about this)
  • prone leg curls
    • 50 lbs, 3 sets of 15 reps
  • another type of leg extension machine
    • 50 lbs, 15 reps
    • 70 lbs, 15 reps
    • 90 lbs, 15 reps
  • seated calf raises
    • 25 lbs, 25 reps
    • 50 lbs, 20 reps
    • 75 lbs, 15 reps
  • another type of seated calf
    • 90 lbs, 25 reps (3 sets?)
  • 10 minutes on elliptical

THAT'S ALL FOLKS!!!!

No comments: