Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Today's favorite exercise: The Leg Press Machine

I promise I'll workout later... really... but I wanted to talk about one of my favorite exercises - used to be THE favorite. I started using the leg press in State College, PA at the local gym I began with...that was a great place. I remember sharing the leg press machine with a guy nicknamed "Prince," who was blown away by how much weight I could do. I was probably using 8 plates at the time. I don't think I've ever used more than 8 plates. I had this little system for using the leg press: start with 2 plates, do three different foot positions, add 2 plates, etc. I still will follow a variation on that system, but I never do as much weight as I once did.

I think the leg press appealed to me because it worked all my leg muscles, and I felt like it burned the most calories of any exercise I could do easily. Plus, you just sorta sit there. It's nearly effortless. :)

Once when I was at the Gold's in Goldsboro (ha!), a guy literally had as many plates as you could stack on the press and then had a woman SIT on top of the machine. I thought it was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever seen. I could barely contain my laughter. Talk about wannabe. I think he did maybe 2-3 reps. He just looked silly to everyone, but now I think: what was that woman thinking? Oh well. Enough babble - time to get to work.

No comments: