Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"The Chemicals Between Us" (Squats)

Went to the MUM gym, which has improved since I started at Miami but still could use some upgrading. There is very poor ventilation, and the weights are old and rusted. They have sanitizer there, but they really should have a big bottle of hand sanitizer. I always wash my hands before I even leave the building. Overall I guess you could call the gym "old school." It was deserted when I was there.

So, today was a "squat" day. Here's what I did:
  • no weight on bar (45 lb bar); 15 reps
  • front squat; no weight; 15 reps
  • 95 lbs; 15 reps
  • front squat; 95 lbs; 12 reps - I'm not very comfortable doing the front squats yet, so I did one more set of 15 reps with no weight after my next set of squats
  • 95 lbs; 15 reps
  • 115 lbs; 15 reps
  • 115 lbs; 15 reps
  • 135 lbs; 10 reps
  • 135 lbs; 8 reps
  • "step ups"; 15 reps each foot touching ground (bad form :) )
  • 10 minutes on elliptical machine at an easy pace
  • "step ups"; 15 reps each foot NOT touching ground x 2 sets
Then HOME!

My back is a bit sore from yesterday, but that's to be expected. I don't really like the MUM gym for another reason: the mirrors are distorting. I really like to see what I'm doing to keep my form solid, but the mirrors are something out of Alice in Wonderland.

Overall, it felt like an ok workout. Squats don't bother me. I could probably push myself more, but I don't see a need to do that. The subject line is a reference to one of the songs playing on my iPOD.

Tomorrow I will probably focus on doing some cardio. I'd like to run the "big block" here if possible. The roads should be fine, and I think the sidewalks are in decent shape. We'll see what the weather is like. Otherwise, I could head down to Suburban Active. The mix of cycling, running, and leg workouts is interesting.

Oh, I'm drinking one of my fine Beverly Shakes. Beverly makes great protein mixes. Woo hoo!

No comments: