Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"You shook me all night long..."

What's the phrase - apropos of nothing? - I chose that for a subject line. Heard the song on the radio, and it's a favorite 80s tune of mine.

So, big day at the gym for my legs. For the rest of me? Not so much.

I admit - and those who know me, probably know this - that I LOVE leg workouts. It's just pure power for me, and I like that. I hate running long distance. I don't like endurance events. But I do love just allowing my muscles to do their thing. I really am trying to improve my endurance and my strength for cycling. I actually wanted to go really heavy today, but I resisted that. Had a very weight tinge in my left knee, which worried me but didn't stop me from lifting. The reason I can stand running trails is that those runs feel more muscle-driven / power-driven than road running. Yes, I know you use muscles all the time, but I like explosiveness that trail running requires just as I like the explosiveness of a strong leg workout. I just wish, wish, wish, wish I could shape my legs more. I think they look like redwood trees.

Here's what I did:

  • 10 minutes warmup on elliptical
  • front squats (no weight, 20 reps;20 lbs on bar, 20 reps; 3 sets of 12 reps with 50 lbs on bar)
  • hack squats (no weight, 20 reps; 4 sets of 12 with 50 lbs on the bar)
  • plate loaded leg press (no weight, 20 reps; 90 lbs on bar, 12 reps; 180 lbs on bar, 2 sets of 12; 270 lbs on bar, 2 sets of 12 reps)
  • leg press (no weight, 20 reps; 90 lbs on bar, 4 sets of 12 reps)
  • Romanian deadlifts (just the bench press bar, 4 sets of 12 reps...finished with 24 reps)
  • seated calves (45 lbs, 20 reps; 70 lbs, 4 sets of 12....finish with 24 reps)
So, perhaps you can see the "philosophy" here... or not. Basically, warmup on each exercise with 20 reps and very little / no weight. Then do 4 sets of 12 reps at a good weight. I was comfortable with this workout; it didn't stress me out too much, but I did feel I was working.

No comments: