Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Appreciate the negative aka Oh my gosh two in a row...

So today I headed down to Urban Active. It's an interesting scene at about 5:30 or 6:00pm. Lots of young, pretty people with young, pretty bodies. No complaints from me.

Let me get to the workout then some comments:
  • 10 minutes elliptical
  • decline bench press (no weight, 15 reps; 20 lbs on bar, 2 sets of 15)
  • overhead db press (10 lbs, 15 reps; 15 lbs, 2 sets of 15)
  • decline db flys (10 lbs, 2 sets of 15)
  • flat bench db flys (10 lbs, 2 sets of 15)
  • incline db flys (10 lbs, 2 sets of 15)
  • squats (no weight, 15 reps; 50 lbs, 2 sets of 15)
  • hack squats (no weight, 2 sets of 15)
  • calf sled thing (no weight, 15 reps; 90 lbs, 2 sets of 15)
  • seated calf raises (25 lbs, 15 reps; 50 lbs, 12 reps; 75 lbs, 8 reps)
  • seated db curls (10 lbs, 15 reps; 15 lbs, 2 sets of 15)
  • ez bar curls (40 lb, 2 sets of 8)
  • 5 minutes rowing


I was doing the bench and thinking about the negative - you know, the downward push of gravity that most people use as a crutch to help them in their reps - and I decided to slow the negative and explode up with each rep...very cool stuff. I don't want to get too thoughtful here - I mean, working out isn't supposed to be thoughtful - but there was a certain... irony isn't the right word... no.... synchronicity... yeah... with me not merely enduring the negative but actually PROLONGING it by resisting gravity. Sometimes one should listen to gravity... it's a force that can't be resisted indefinitely. It's time for a change, a break, something different.

And I was also thinking about my poor left shoulder, which must really have some sort of injury, because I definitely felt weakness in it after I did the crazy db flys in three different positions... I suppose 135 reps will do that too...even at light weight... but I do think there's something wrong. I felt it, too, when I did squats. Oops.

Overall, an ok workout. I wanted to go a bit longer but I realize I need to ease myself back into things or I'll hurt myself. I'm not a spring chicken anymore. Ha.

No comments: