Wednesday, April 14, 2010

On the trail

So today I did my first trail running at MUM of the Spring, and it was nifty. Things that I noticed: spots of purple amid the blooming green; more down trees and limbs; a new "loop" I've never used before.

I didn't do too hard a run, because I'm really out of shape. It's ridiculous to think that I'm nearly 140 lbs, but I trust I'll be able to lose some weight and tone myself if I can get back to the sort of workouts I once did. I also think I'm this way because I AM getting older, and my body chemistry is changing.

Although I hate, hate, hate road running, I love trail running, because it's the closest running gets to weight training. I just think of the trail as a giant leg press machine...upside down...

Running on the trails forces me to concentrate - so I don't break an ankle - but also frees my mind in ways I think are similar to meditation for others. At times the running feels effortless as though my feet naturally know where to go. This is not the case, as evidenced by the stumble or nearly twisted ankle. But it does feel that way at times.

No comments: